Webcam Guitar Lessons
I can teach you to play guitar from the comfort and privacy of your own home using free video conferencing apps such as Zoom or Skype. No more fighting through traffic or cancelling due to bad weather. You can even record the lesson for future reference. I'm available for lessons to students from kids to adults and all levels of ability. It's easier than you think, and to prove it I'm prepared to give you a free introductory lesson.
Things you'll need:
1) A computer/ mobile device/ smartphone with webcam, microphone, speakers/ headphones (they're already built in to every device!)
2) An internet connection.
3) A video conferencing app (either Zoom or Skype) installed on your computer/ device.
4) A booking with me.
5) You and your guitar!
Stuff that will make your lesson more rewarding and successful:
1) Test your equipment, internet connection and get to know your way around your preferred video conferencing app before the lesson. You can check your video and audio settings easily when you open up the app to make sure the webcam, microphone and speakers/ headphones are working properly.
2) Have good room lighting! Check your video screen through the app and see if your face and instrument is lit up. Try using a desk lamp nearby. If it's too close the lighting may be harsh so move it around a bit until it looks good.
3) Make room for a music stand or have desk space close to the computer/ device in case we use hand written/ printed resources during the lesson.
What happens during the lesson?
It's more or less the same as a face to face lesson in the real world. The only difference is that we can't play our guitars simultaneously in real time. Usually I'll demonstrate what we'll be doing and ask you to do the same (or vice versa). However we can talk as if we're in the same physical room together because most conversations rely on each participant waiting until the other person has finished their sentence before speaking! Disclaimer: My wife may not agree that I'm any good at that!
During our introductory lesson I'll ask you things such as "Have you played before? What style of music do you like?" and lots of other boring questions to get a sense of where you're at so we can form a plan of attack. You can do the same for me! I'm sure you have lots of questions so fire away - it's a two way street. That's the whole point of live one on one lessons. Regarding our plan of attack - we're all different. Some people (especially kids) need structure. I have structured programs that deliver lessons in a logical sequence, each building on the last one. Some people just want to learn a new song or some help with a particular technique. If you don't know what you want that's fine too. I'll get to know you and be able to point you in the right direction. I've had many years experience teaching guitar to students of all ages and levels. This is what I do for a living!
How much does it cost?
Your 30 minute introductory lesson is free! There is no obligation to book more lessons but if you do they are charged at 30 AUD for a 30 minute lesson or 50 AUD for a 60 minute lesson. Most people book a 30 minute lesson once a week in the same time slot. This seems to be the right balance to allow for regular practice within a weekly routine.
All ready? Let's go!
Not sure yet?